The reasoning behind the clinic was simple :
1. We wanted to see a higher level of breastfeeding success on ground level. We believe that a certified lactation consultant providing hands-on practical support and advice after discharge from hospital in a discrete and serene breastfeeding room away from the hustle and bustle will help more moms to breastfeed.
2. Many practice parents expressed a need to have their children immunized at the practice. It's just more convenient.
3. Despite our best efforts, poor coordination between visits to both the practice for follow-up visits and an alternative immunization clinic on the same day wrecked havoc with the practice appointment diary, leading to preventable prolonged waiting times for patients.
4. The belief that patients should be offered immunizations every day from 08h00 to 17h00. Opportunities for immunization should not go to waste because an immunization clinic is closed after a certain time in the day, especially for children having to travel long distances or for those dependant on public transport.
5. As the private sector (optional) vaccines are already at the practice, no need to first purchase them at a pharmacy.
6. Private sector (optional) vaccines are claimed from your medical aid. No need to have the cash available to have your child immunized with these optional extra vaccines if you still have funds available in your medical aid.
Our in-house well-baby and child clinic was launched in February 2019 with the arrival of Sr Anelle Greyling, a certified lactation consultant and registered professional nurse with years of experience providing advice and support to breastfeeding moms and immunizing babies and children at the Panorama Breastfeeding Clinic.